Saturday, September 3, 2022

Done at last!!

The last pieces of the puzzle came together on Thursday and Friday of this last week.  The cabinet makers had our custom panels ready to install for the fridge and Fridge/freezer drawers.  That was Thursday and Friday morning the mirror and glass people called and asked if we would be around so they could install glass and mirrors.  I cannot tell you just how happy I was to get these last 2 things checked off the list. 
Of course we still have a few things to hang on the walls and I'm working on 2 different photo gallery collections.  One for the guest bathroom that will go over the tub and the second group of photos will hang over the antique courting couch in our bedroom.  But I need to have photos printed and I need to find frames and figure out sizes for all that so its gonna be a process.
At long last we finally found a nightstand for Bob.  In our old home Bob's nightstand was actually a kitchen cabinet set that was built for our kitchen but wasnt the correct size.  We kept it and actually inserted it in the wall upstairs next to his side of the bed.  It worked perfectly for all his "stuff" and the gun he keeps in case theres something that would need that type of attention.  I hated everything I shopped for and it was all too expensive for what you were getting.  In this area we have a plethora of "antique" shops and I would just know when I found what would be perfect.  And yesterday we found it. 
Its oak which matches his dresser and mine and it was in great shape and it was only $60.00.  A bargain for sure.  
We are on the hunt now for a church pew for this wall.
I think a church pew would be perfect and I might have found one at the price I want to pay.  I'm waiting for the woman to call me back to let me know how long it is.  She said 10 ft but that would be too long for this.  8ft would be maximum and 6 would be the minimum I would even consider.  This pew is not close to me so I want to find out as much as possible before I make a road trip.  Then we just need another piece to go on this wall.
I'm thinking something like an antique sideboard and Bob thinks the same.  It's one of those "I'll know it when I see it" pieces and this is a marathon and not a sprint.  
I'm heading out this week to look and hopefully purchase rugs.  We need a big one in the living area, I need 3 small rugs for inside each interior/exterior doors, I need heavy duty mats right outside the front and back doors and bathroom rugs as well as bedroom rugs.  It's all a process and because there is nothing close, it requires a trip into Georgetown, Cedar Park and probably even Round Rock.  But hopefully not Austin proper.  I wont be driving but Austin gives me the willys.  Too many people, too much traffic, too much of everything!!
Heres a picture of our custom panels.  First up is the fridge and then the Fridge/Freezer drawers.
The color difference is because they haven't a finish on them.  The cabinet people were supposed to do it but I'm thinking they forgot.  I contacted our paint guy and he said he'd do them for free if he could come out and hunt arrow heads.  Heck yes, come out all you want!  He actually found 2 bird points right in front of the house.  A bird point is a very small arrowhead...used to shoot birds.  
 So essentially we are done.  Feels good to have space again, feels good to sleep at a comfortable temperature and feels good to cook like I'm used to cooking. 
I'll probably do one last blogspot on looking back and lessons learned and pictures or maybe a video but we've reached the end of the trail my friends.  

No comments:

Post a Comment